The Town of Frederick has established a program that provides four-year scholarships for graduating high school seniors who are Frederick residents. This scholarship grants each recipient $2,000 per year for four years for post-secondary educational expenses, provided that the recipient is able to meet the on-going eligibility requirements. To be considered for this scholarship, eligible students must complete the attached application form and submit that along with the following:
1. One letter of recommendation or nomination
2. A student essay as described herein
3. A high school transcript, including cumulative high school grade point average (GPA).
Applications can be submitted in paper format at Town Hall (401 Locust Street) or by completing the online scholarship application.
The 2022-2023 Town of Frederick Scholarship has closed. Submissions for the 2023-2024 Scholarship will open in December 2023.
To be eligible for consideration, students must meet the following four requirements:
- The applicant must be a graduating senior from an accredited high school or home school program
- The applicant must be a resident of the Town of Frederick
- The applicant must have a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher and must have taken a college preparatory curriculum (the commission has the latitude to consider a candidate who, due to exceptional circumstances, merits consideration from the Commission and may not have the requisite grade point average)
- The applicant must have demonstrated excellence in extra-curricular activities such as drama, music, art, student government, athletics, science, leadership or service organizations, or other relevant activities
The following are restrictions for the ongoing receipt of the scholarship:
- The student must attend an accredited college, university, trade school, community college, junior college, or other qualifying program. To remain eligible for funding, the student must maintain a 3.0 grade point average during their college experience.
- The scholarship funds will be paid directly to the school in August of each year. The Town of Frederick Scholarship Commission or staff will review all continuing students (students awarded scholarships in previous years) for compliance with grade point average, registration, and degree pursuit requirements.
Application and Selection:
Application for the scholarship must be made on the form supplied by the Town of Frederick by the date specified above. Selection for the interview will be based on the review of the submitted materials by the Town of Frederick Scholarship Commission. The Scholarship Commission will invite the top candidates for an interview.
The ideal candidate will:
- Exhibit exemplary citizenship
- Demonstrate a commitment to their community
- Show a commitment to the pursuit of higher education
- Display scholastic and personal achievement
- Reflect the values of the Frederick Brand Promise
We believe in rolling up our sleeves not just for ourselves, but for others.
We believe in playing outside until the stars flicker on and protecting the hallowed ground of childhood.
We believe in a lifelong commitment to actions as good as our intentions.
We believe in the power of our voices and the obligation of our hearts to form a strong foundation.
We believe we’re onto something that’s worth all we can give it. Here, the life we dream of is ours to create.
The Scholarship Commission will conduct 30-minute interviews with the top candidates. Before applying, applicants should consider whether they can be present for an interview if invited. Upon completion of the interviews, the Scholarship Commission will make a recommendation to the Town of Frederick Board of Trustees.
Attendance at a Board of Trustee Meeting
Recipients are required to attend a Board of Trustee Meeting in March or April to be officially awarded the scholarship and to be recognized by the Town of Frederick Board of Trustees and the Frederick Scholarship Commission.
Please get in touch with the Town Clerk at 720.382.5500 if you are unable to attend this meeting.
The 2022-2023 Town of Frederick Scholarship has closed. Submissions for the 2023-2024 Scholarship will be opened in December of 2023.