Street cleaning is done for safety reasons and is also an important component of the town’s Stormwater Management Plan.
Protecting Water Quality
Many of our storm sewers lead directly to lakes, ditches, or streams. Street cleaning removes dirt and debris from town streets, protects water quality, minimizes the burden on the storm sewer system from surface debris, and prevents physical damage to pavements.
Washing a vehicle or rinsing the deck of a lawnmower in the driveway puts unwanted material in our streets. Grass clippings blown into the road, dog droppings, trash, paper, anti-freeze, gas & motor oil are all unwanted materials flushed into the street and down the storm sewer when it rains. Blowing snow into the street also adds to the problem because it causes our snowplow crew to use more anti-icing agents to keep the roads safe for travel.
What You Can Do to Help
There are various things Frederick residents can do to help Town staff maintain a cleaner Town:
- We ask that vehicles are moved from the street between 7 am and 4 pm during the week your area is scheduled for sweeping. Subject to change due to weather or any other changes that may occur.
- Keep alleys behind homes clean.
- Pick up and dispose of grass clippings through your garbage pickup.
- Wash your vehicle with a bucket and sponge.
- In general, discard trash in the proper manner.
- Public Works will make every effort to have our cleaners sweep all neighborhoods at least once every six weeks but appreciate your understanding that during the summer, priorities can change quickly. We ask that cars be removed from the street between the hours of 6 am to 3 pm during the week your area is scheduled.
Street Cleaning Schedule
Please note not all streets and roads within Town limits are maintained by the Town. For example, a new development or neighborhood may still be under warranty and, therefore, still the developer's responsibility. View the Town’s Street Maintenance Map.
2023 Street Cleaning Schedule:
April 3, May 15, June 26, Aug 7, Sept 18 – Downtown Frederick, Parkview, Maple Ridge, Coal Ridge, Countryside, Westview
April 10, May 22, July 5, Aug 14, Sept 25 – Savannah, Angel View, Hidden Creek (phase 1), Clark Ranch, Carriage Hills
April 17, May 30, July 10, Aug 21 – Raspberry Hill, Eagle Valley, Summit View, Silverstone
April 24, June 5, July 17, Aug 28 – The Farm, No Name Creek, Moore Farm, Fox Run
May 1, June 12, July 24, Sept 5 – Morningside, Wildflower, Wyndham Hill, Rinn Valley
May 8, June 19, July 31, Sept 11 – Bear Industrial Park, Frederick West Business Park, Glacier Business Park
The fall schedule is weather dependent. A review of street conditions will determine street cleaning schedules after September.
We ask that vehicles are moved from the street between 7 am and 4 pm during the week your area is scheduled for sweeping. The street sweeping schedule is subject to change due to weather or any other unforeseen restrictions.