Building Permits / Inspections
Please note that NO inspections will be scheduled or conducted on the following holidays:
- Friday, November 10, in honor of the Veterans Day
- Thursday, November 23 and Friday, November 24 for Thanksgiving
- Monday, December 25 and Tuesday, December 26 for Christmas
- Monday, January 1, 2024 for New Year’s Day
Building Code Update: As of June 30, 2021, the 2018 I-codes and 2020 NEC are in effect.
Please note, effective January 1, 2024, all inspection requests must be submitted by 4 pm the business day prior. Also, all inspection requests received after 4 pm Friday will be added to the schedule the following Tuesday. We will no longer be accepting inspections after
4 pm for the next day.
The Building Department is responsible for the building permit and inspection activities for all commercial, industrial, and residential projects within the Town to maintain a safe building environment for all citizens and businesses.
Wondering what's being built around the community? Check out the current development applications under review page. For more information about upcoming neighborhood meetings, including notice of application or public hearings, check the for details and meeting dates.
Where to Start
Have a project you want to do but unsure how to get things moving? Use this checklist to submit the correct documents and keep your project on track.
- Fill out the fillable permit application and save it as a PDF to email your permit application to the Building Department.
- A drawing/plan is required for all permits except plumbing and mechanical.
- A plot plan and drawing are required for anything that changes the footprint of the structure, such as a deck, patio, patio cover, pergola, garage additions, accessory dwelling units, and additions to the house.
- Contact the Building Department about sheds.
- Call 811 to be sure you are not digging into power lines.
- Email electronic application, drawings, and plot plan.
- The review period is up to 14 business days. You will receive an email when the review is done. Call the building office if you have not been contacted after 14 days.
- You can pay for the permit over the phone or in person. All permits and approved final drawings will be emailed after payment. Permit cards for the front of the house are no longer issued/required.
- Contractors must have a current license with the Town of Frederick. The building permit will not be issued if the license is not current. If work has been completed before the license is up to date, the building permit fee is subject to a double permitting fee.
- For concrete, stone, and rock work, please call the Town of Frederick Planning Department to check setback requirements.
- Landscaping and concrete projects do not need a permit. However, they need to adhere to the Town of Frederick Land use code. Please contact Town of Frederick Planning Department for questions and setback requirements.
- Do not build on utility or drainage easements.
- Metal buildings, including garages and carports, are not permitted in residential areas of Frederick.
- Tiny homes are not permitted in Frederick.
- A permit is not needed for a shed smaller than 200 sq. ft., but please speak to the Town of Frederick Planning Department to ensure you are meeting setback requirements.
- If landscaping or building materials will be left in the street, please submit a materials drop permit. Materials can be left in the street for up to 72 hours. Traffic control cones must be set up around the materials. Dumpsters may not be left in the street or in an alley. They are only allowed to stay in the resident's driveway.
- All livable structures must be larger than 500 sq. ft, have a permanent foundation, and be able to hook up to utilities.
- For fencing requirements, setback standards, and easement questions, please refer to Town of Frederick Planning.
- For additional questions, please see the Building FAQ's and Planning FAQ's
- Water and ice shield is required on eves and valleys.
- Inspections include mid-roof and final
- Mid-roof inspection includes complete tear-off, all underlayment and flashing installed, and 25% to 75% of shingles required.
- A final inspection will not be performed if a mid-roof inspection is not done. Roofing contractors will be required to tear off up to 25% of the shingles to complete the mid-roof inspection.
Building Permit Applications
For a patio cover or deck, please request an inspection at the following points:
- Footings: the Inspector will measure holes before the concrete is poured in.
- Rough Framing
- After any electrical
- Final Inspection
- If you plan on moving underground pipes, have the pipes inspected first.
- Rough Framing
- Rough Electrical
- Rough Plumbing
- Custom Showers
- If installing insulation other than the insulation blanket
- Final Inspection
Please note that no inspections will be conducted on Friday, November 10, in honor of the Veterans Day holiday.
The best and most efficient way to schedule an inspection is to use our online form: Inspection Request Form
If you are unable to use the online form, please call 720.382.5620 to schedule an inspection.
Please submit the Inspection Request Form one to two days before the inspection is needed. Inspection requests requested before 7 am can be scheduled for the same day in most cases and based on availability.
Commercial electrical inspection requests shall be submitted by 3 pm the prior day.
- November 10
- November 23
- November 24
- December 25
- December 26