- Living in Frederick
- Resident Resources
- Oil & Gas in your Neighborhood
Oil & Gas in your Neighborhood
Frederick is located in the Denver-Julesburg Basin, a subsurface, a geologic formation containing significant deposits of oil, natural gas, and other minerals. As a result, more than 500 wells exist within Frederick's municipal boundaries.
Town staff is in close contact with local operators and the State of Colorado Oil and Gas Conservation Commission (COGCC), the agency that regulates oil and gas in Colorado. The COGCC has a "local government designee" program through which it communicates with municipalities.
Town staff, the oil and gas industry, and the COGCC cooperated to develop a list of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).
For information on existing wells and wells that are being drilled, please refer to the environmental constraints map on the Town's website.
Always keep in mind that these sites are industrial in nature, contain combustible materials and other chemicals, and may be dangerous, so please refrain from entering a well site. Please call 911 in the event of a fire, explosion or similar emergencies.
For non-emergency concerns related to potential hazards, gas leaks or chemical spills, please contact the Frederick-Firestone Fire Protection District, COGCC, well operator and/or local government designee. Well sites should be clearly marked with the name and telephone number of the operating company.
Report any activities you observe including trespassing and vandalism to the Frederick Police Department, Oil, and Gas Conservation Commission, or the well operator.
If you have concerns related to the location, construction or operation of an oil and/or gas well, contact the well operator, local government designee, or the COGCC representative.
- Colorado Oil and Gas Conservation Commission Phone: 303-894-2100 Fax: 303-894-2109 Complaint: 888-235-1101
- Town of Frederick Police Department Non-Emergency Number: 720-652-4222
- Frederick-Firestone Fire Protection District Non-Emergency Number: 303-833-2742
- Utility Locate: Colorado 811 or 1-800-922-1987
- In an Emergency always call "911"
- Well sites should be clearly marked with the name and telephone number of the operating company.